Dustin Johnson escalates golf’s civil war by applying for DP World Tour

0

Dustin Johnson will test the resolve of the “strategic alliance” between the PGA Tour and the DP World Tour after applying to join the former European Tour.

Related: Rory McIlroy & JT Support PGA Tour Suspensions

In an exclusive report by The Daily Telegraph’s Jamie Corrigan, the newspaper says Johnson, who turns 38 this month, has filed for the Wentworth seat.

Johnson confirmed this week that he has resigned from the PGA Tour. Other current PGA Tour members who have not resigned are currently suspended.

Johnson’s decision will draw attention to DP World Tour general manager Keith Pelley, who has so far remained silent on the situation.

Just today it was reported that the DP World Tour would be making a decision on how to proceed with PGA Tour players who will be competing in the Genesis Scottish Open in July.

Because this event is co-sanctioned by the PGA Tour, it puts the DP World Tour in an odd position. Let the rebels play or ally with Jay Monahan?

Monahan acted Thursday afternoon just 30 minutes after Johnson, Phil Mickelson and the rest of the field hit their tee shots at the Centurion Club. It has been confirmed that all current PGA Tour players who participate in LIV Golf events are currently suspended.

Future PGA Tour players who also play in the league will also face the same punishment, he said.

More: Graeme McDowell ‘wanted to keep morale high’

More: Why is the LIV Golf Invitational series controversial?

Bryson DeChambeau has finally confirmed his commitment to play in LIV Golf, starting with the second tournament of the $255 million eight-event series in Portland next month.

He would be paid $100 million. Greg Norman described him as “an innovator”.

Just last week, the former US Open champion claimed jumping ship was too risky. His Rocket Mortgage sponsors have now dumped him.

Ryder Cup Europe icons Sergio Garcia, Lee Westwood, Ian Poulter and Graeme McDowell are all affected.

Garcia and McDowell have resigned from the PGA Tour. Poulter and Westwood did not.

It has been reported that Garcia et al have asked the DP World Tour to retain their membership so they can still be involved in future Ryder Cups.

It would also mean that they could still play in guaranteed tournaments to give them ranking points so they could get into the majors.

American Johnson’s behavior marks an escalation in this saga.

PGA Tour pro Harold Varner III admitted after his first round at the RBC Canadian Open that things had now “got serious”.

Rory McIlroy and Justin Thomas, both playing in Canada this week, welcomed the bans.

It would be remarkable if the DP World Tour decides to turn its back on the “strategic alliance” with the PGA Tour.

Corrigan’s report quoted an insider as saying: “The European Tour needs to grab the nettle and allow all these guys to play, and it will survive.

“I don’t know the legality, but Pelley and his board have a chance to go along with this.

“Johnson, Mickelson, DeChambeau, and anyone like Westwood, Poults, Louis, GMac…sponsors would be thrilled.”

Johnson reportedly said he would be attending LIV Golf events over the next four years.

Sky Sports’ Jamie Weir quoted the American as saying he was “completely done” with the PGA Tour.

More: Lee Westwood accused of hypocrisy

Watch our latest YouTube video now:

Next: Ian Poulter plans to appeal PGA Tour ban

Share.

Comments are closed.