Editor’s Note: This is part of a series of historical articles on the role of Champaign County in the Civil War. The articles lead to a re-inauguration ceremony of the Man at the Monument in Urbana on December 5 at 3 p.m.
URBANA – The first Presbyterian Church in Urbana has a Civil War window on the balcony at the rear of the sanctuary. It is part of a group of three windows. The window, dedicated to William M. Patrick, represents a camping scene. The circle at the top of the window has two swords and a crown. The lettering means G. Company, 3rd Regiment, Ohio Volunteer Corp.
At the bottom of the window are the words “In memory of William M. Patrick, August 3, 1862.”
It is possible that his regiment was in West Virginia at the time of his death, and the scene depicted in the glass is this encampment.
WOODSTOCK – The Reverend George Messenger and his congregation built the first Universalist Church in Woodstock in June 1844. The second and current building was built in 1895.
The front window of the church commemorates the men of the 66th Ohio Volunteer Infantry recruited from Champaign County during the Civil War. Woodstock, in Rush Township, contributed more of its sons to the Union cause, per capita, than any other community in the county. One of these sons was Oliver P. Colwell who received the Medal of Honor in February 1865 and is buried in Woodstock Cemetery.
The First Presbyterian Church in Urbana has a Civil War window on the balcony at the rear of the sanctuary.
Woodstock’s First Universalist Church is pictured in this photo collage.
Pictured is the historic Ohio marker at the First Universalist Church in Woodstock.
Hayla Parker Information